Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A short rant...

I just though I would share this conversation with everyone:

Me: Hey Professor Johnson, I wanted to write my term paper on the way that mourning is portrayed in Byzantine art, is that ok?

Professor Johnson: Much too broad, narrow it down to just one gesture of mourning

Me: Ok, I will write about veiled faces as a sign of mourning

Professor Johnson: That will work.

One month goes by.....

Me: Hey Professor Johnson, there is hardly any relevant research out there on veiled faces in the Byzantine era, any suggestions?

Professor Johnson: Well, the first thing you need to do is broaden you topic to all the gestures of mourning is Byzantine painting

Me: Ok

Me in my head: SERIOUSLY?? As in, broaden my topic back to the original one that you made me narrow down? Thank you for that sir.



Though I was quite frustrated by this conversation, hey, at least it will make the rest of my research easier to find!



2 comments: